Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sandwich Pizza with Prosciutto, Capicolla, Soppressata & Mozzarella

The Italian dish that never was...

I’m sure the Italians don’t serve them like these (pictured above), but when you’ve got prosciutto, capicolla, soppressata and a chunk of fresh mozzarella in the fridge and nothing else but an empty stomach, you do what you gotta do. In my case, I just quickly layered the prosciutto, capicolla, soppressata together with some mozzarella and sliced Swiss cheese (a slight deviation here), sliced tomatoes, diced green olives and slices of red onions on top of slices of cornbread (that’s been sitting on the kitchen counter for a few days), baked them for about 10 minutes in the oven and pronto! I just built myself a number of makeshift but delicious mini pizzas good enough to quiet down my growling stomach. The authentic Italian panini can be made some other day, when I am not starving.

Melted cheese is simply the best!


No comments: